Tuesday, July 20, 2010

The Hills were alive (and swatting!) with LC


Last week, we all said goodbye to The Hills. A phenomenon beyond belief undoubtedly -- young kids (who were already rich) that became Brangelina famous for, well, nothing. And subsequently, even richer. But just slap my ass and call me Stephanie Pratt -- I love the show, I do. I am one of the reasons these girls are famous, because I DVR it every week.

So needless to say, I was very excited when the opportunity presented itself to chat with ex-Hills star Lauren Conrad - who is on her second best-selling book. I'm not too proud to admit a little envy took over. As a writer, I also want to publish a book and this 24-year-old Laguna Beach girl - who became famous for her high school love triangle - already has two (bestsellers, to boot).

Not to mention, the fan club this girl has is overwhelming, which I immediately realized I underestimated when I arrived at Books & Books (side note: best place ever). Let me put it to you this way: the store owner informed me there were more people there to see her than when Bill Clinton read. And if this depressing statistic surprises any of you, remember, this is the same country that gets more votes on American Idol than in the presidential election.

So there I was fighting the massive tween crowd like I was at a Backstreet Boys concert circa ‘99 to get back to the storage room where they housed Lauren Conrad for interviews. That right there should tell you something -- the girl couldn’t even step out; she would have literally been mauled. We were forced to interview her Taliban ransom video style. The other groupies journos and I lined up outside the door (reminiscent of elementary classroom days), and entered one by one. When it was finally my turn, my first impression was: I loved her dress (no bull shit, the girl can dress). And unlike the scripted show, she herself was very natural and effortlessly pretty ...in the way you could have easily sat next to each other in 4th period math. I honestly felt that her and I would be friends (and I never would have screwed her over like Heidi). Speaking of which, the now overly busty blond was very off limits in this chat. We were all given a list of items we could not discuss, which included such subjects as LC's relationship with Heidi, Heidi’s plastic surgery scandal, and anything whatsoever to do with Speidi (Heidi and Spencer). In other words, no Heidi hob-nobbling of any kind.

Of course, this right off the bat wiped out about 50% of my questions so I quickly decided to go another route. And just when I started to ask how the ghostwriter she wrote this book differently, is when things turned into a bonafied Hills blooper reel. We eventually got it right - and aside from the list - there didn't seem to be a diva bone in this girl's petite bod. Still, the whole process was pretty comical to say the least, and definitely a little ironic -- welcome to "legit" reality television, LC:


Take one: Mid-interview the phone rang – we were in the storage room / office after all– LC laughed it off, and I re-started the flip.




Take two: phone rang again – this time, she rolled her eyes and said, “what is going on here?” (but in a very sweet, girl next-door way).



Take three: just about when I finally work up the courage to (awkwardly) start digging into her personal life - i.e. her hot My Boys boo - a bug flies around her head...as if there was a sign from above not to go there.



Annnnd done.

But at least I know LC & I have one "real" thing in common...fear of flying insects.



1 comment:

  1. This is so great - I love how you legit show the bloopers as compared to the actual interview - genius. I think LC would be very proud. This blog is going to be great - and not in the BS annoying way like Perez - although I do enjoy me some PH occasionally.

    ReplyDelete